Malwarebytes has released version 4 of its eponymous anti-virus program. This program is aimed at combating malware, such as malicious software that masquerades as a bona fide antivirus or anti-spyware solution, but in reality has less good intentions, such as ransom– or scareware. In addition to the free version, there is a paid variant, which offers additional functionality, including real-time protection.
In addition to a new look, version 4.0 includes an improved detection engine. That was necessary, because Malwarebytes scores nowadays not too good in the tests. Furthermore, the performance of the program and the speed of the scan have also been improved and only Windows 7, 8.1 and 10 are supported. The release notes for this release can be found below:
Performance / protective capability
- New Malwarebytes Katana engine provides improved malware detection.
- Now registers as primary cybersecurity program in Windows Defender Security Center.
- User interface redesign for improved user experience.
- New Threat Center integration to learn more about any threats detected.
- New lightweight installer ensures the latest version is always installed.
Stability / issues fixed
- Improved performance and faster scans.
- Numerous miscellaneous improvements and fixes.
|Operating systems||Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10|
|License type||Freeware / Paid|