The iPhone 13 is coming! The device will go on sale from Friday. The most notable improvements of this year have to do with the iPhone 13 camera. How about a special movie mode for video? And macro photography? In this article we zoom in on the camera improvements of both the iPhone 13 (mini) and the iPhone 13 Pro (Max)!
As usual, the more luxurious iPhones – the iPhone 13 Pro and the iPhone 13 Pro Max – also have the best camera. You can see that right away, because the iPhone 13 Pro (Max) has three lenses, while the iPhone 13 (mini) has two. We’ll tell you what the new functions are, and then briefly discuss the specifications of the cameras.
iPhone 13 camera: these features are coming to all models
Some of the new features are there for all iPhone 13 models, from the mini to the Pro Max. Here they are all:
- Movie mode: In movies, you always see how the focus shifts from one person to another. Now you can with your iPhone videos too! The subject is sharp, the background stylishly blurred. It’s like portrait mode, but for video. You can adjust the depth of field afterwards.
- Smart HDR 4 for photos: Now recognizes up to four people in a photo, and adjusts contrast, exposure, and skin tones for each.
- Photographic Styles: The old filters always affected your entire photos, making skin tones, for example, unnatural. The new styles adjust specific areas of the photo, leaving other colors untouched.
New camera features for all iPhone 13 Pro (Max) models
The iPhone 13 Pro (Max) gets all the above-mentioned functions of the iPhone 13. Plus some nice extras! What’s new for the Pro?
- For starters, this time the iPhone 13 Pro and the Pro Max have the same camera. Last year there was still a difference between the two Pro models. You are therefore not dependent on that extra expensive and large Pro Max for the very best iPhone camera.
- Macro photography: Focus the new ultra-wide-angle camera from as little as two centimeters away. For example, you get beautiful photos of flowers and insects up close.
- Night mode on all cameras: Taking colorful pictures in the dark was the novelty of the iPhone 12. Now the night mode is available for all lenses of the Pro – including the telephoto camera!
- Night Mode Portraits: you can now also take portrait photos in night mode. This uses the LiDAR scanner, which is still exclusive to the Pro.
- ProRes video: Allows you to shoot videos in higher quality and with more editing options. All in all, it’s similar to Apple’s ProRaw photos, but for moving images. The feature will be available later this fall through an iOS update.
iPhone 13 (mini) camera: the specifications
The iPhone 13 (mini) has a dual camera – this time the lenses are in a diagonal arrangement, last year they were one below the other. It is a 12‑MP dual camera system, consisting of an ultra-wide-angle (aperture ƒ/2.4) and a wide-angle lens (aperture ƒ/1.6). You must miss a telephoto lens. Zooming is limited to 2x optical zoom out and 5x digital zoom in.
Optical image stabilization with sensor shift – first exclusive to the Pro models – is now available for all iPhone 13 models. This ensures less blurred photos.
iPhone 13 Pro (Max) camera: the specifications
The iPhone 13 Pro (Max) has a triple camera. To be precise: a 12‑MP pro camera system, consisting of an ultra-wide-angle (aperture ƒ/1.8), a wide-angle (aperture ƒ/1.5) and a telephoto lens (aperture ƒ/2.8). With the hem you can go in all directions:
- 3x optical zoom
- 2x optical zoom out
- 6x optical zoom
- Up to 15x digital zoom