iOS 15 and iPadOS 15 are coming. Apple just announced the release date of its biggest update of the year. And it won’t be long before your iPhone and iPad will get all kinds of cool new features, because you can update as early as next week!
iOS 15 release date: that’s soon!
Apple revealed in a press release tonight that the new operating systems will be released next week – Monday, September 20. Usually, a new iOS release is rolled out.
iOS 15 features: what’s new?
iPadOS and iOS 15 bring tons of new features to your iPhone and iPad. Here are the features you can try out soon.
- Focus is the improved version of Do Not Disturb and prevents unnecessary distractions. Are you at work and need to focus on that? Then you set that you can only be reached by colleagues and you only allow work-related apps. Do you just want to relax? Then you block your business apps or contacts.
- Do you receive a lot of notifications on your phone (and maybe you even turned them off)? Then you are probably happy with the new Notification overview. In this, the notifications from your favorite apps are bundled and delivered at a time that suits you.
- Some apps have undergone a complete metamorphosis. Weather for example, has a different design and shows much more information. In Safari the search bar has moved to the bottom of the screen, you can create handy tab groups and create your personal home screen.
Virtually all features of iOS 15 are also coming to iPadOS 15. Remarkably, some iOS 14 features are finally making their debut on the iPad after a year. We are talking about the App Library in which all your apps are conveniently arranged and the option to place widgets criss-cross between your apps.
iOS 15: also for your iPhone?
There is good news: all iPhones that are currently suitable for iOS 14 are also suitable for iOS 15! That means you need an iPhone 6s (2015) or newer. Yes, you can also update the first iPhone SE (from 2016)! These are all devices with iOS 15 support:
- iPhone 12
- iPhone 12 mini
- iPhone 12 Pro (Max)
- iPhone 11 Pro (Max)
- iPhone 11
- iPhone SE (Second Generation)
- iPhone XS (Max)
- iPhone XR
- iPhone X
- iPhone 8 (Plus)
- iPhone 7 (Plus)
- iPhone 6s (Plus)
- iPhone SE (First generation)
- iPod touch (7th generation)
The new iPhone 13 is of course also suitable for iOS 15.
iPadOS 15 runs on the following iPads:
- All iPad Pros
- iPad 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th generation
- iPad Air 2, 3 and 4
- iPad mini 4 and 5
Download iOS 15
Updating to iOS 15 and iPadOS 15 is therefore possible on Monday 20 September, expected at 7 p.m. Updating is free and you can find the update via ‘Settings>General>Software update’. If you don’t download the update right away, a red dot will appear in the Settings app after a few days to remind you.