Synology has finalized and officially released an update to version 2.3 of Disk Station Manager, the management software that runs on several of the company’s NAS products. The Disk, Cube and Rack Stations offer more than just extra storage space. They can also backup all clients on the network and download files via http, ftp, BitTorrent, Usenet and eMule, so that the energy-hungry PC can, for example, shut down at night while the download just comes in. Furthermore, audio and video files can be streamed over the network via the built-in iTunes server, a dynamic website can be hosted using PHP and MySQL and it can act as a print server.
Version 2.3 brings a large number of changes. This makes it easier to create Raid volumes and new types are supported. Also new is that folders can now be encrypted and there is an app for the iPhone that can show images from cameras connected to the Synology. Various improvements have also been made to Backup, File Station, Surveillance Station, Photo Station and Audio Station. In build 1157, the following changes and improvements have been made:
- Supported M3U Internet radio playlist in Audio Station.
- Enhanced the Amazon S3 secret key handling.
- Enhanced Synology Hybrid RAID’s volume expansion after volume degraded.
- Enhanced the log system by recording hard disk removal events.
- Enhanced the Surveillance Station live view stability when switching the IP cameras video formats.
- Enhanced the error handling when attempting to create a volume larger than 16TB.
- Enhanced the RAW files thumbnail conversion in Photo Station.
- Enhanced the external IP reporting in DDNS.
- Enhanced the unmounted encrypted shared folders’ security .
- Enhanced the Surveillance Station live view quality on Safari.
- Enhanced the Surveillance Station live view quality on Firefox.
|Version number||2.3 build 1157|