KeePass Password Safe is a well-known open source password manager that was originally developed for the Windows platform, but can later work on other platforms with the help of Mono. KeePassXC is being developed in C++ with Qt for the graphics part giving it a custom look on Linux, macOS and Windows. Allows accounts to be stored, including associated data, such as username, password, and url. All data is stored securely in a database encrypted with the aes, twofish or ChaCha20. Furthermore, the program can automatically generate passwords and import and export lists. For more information, we refer you to this page. The developers have released version 2.4.2 with the following announcement:
KeePassXC 2.4.2 released
We are happy to announce KeePassXC 2.4.2, the second maintenance release of the 2.4 series!
This release fixes several bugs and introduces a memory wiping feature that will reduce the risk of secrets remaining in memory after a database is locked or being swapped to disk. Combined with the existing restrictions on memory access by non-administrators, this feature increases the security of KeePassXC.
Other notable changes are fixes to entry editing, prevention of infinite save loops, ability to open non-http url’s, and preventing data loss when opening a database with duplicated attachment binaries.
The new release can be downloaded from our downloads page, our Ubuntu PPA, and Snapcraft.
Here is the full changelog for KeePassXC 2.4.2:
- Improve resilience against memory attacks – overwrite memory before free [#3020]
- Prevent infinite save loop when location is unavailable [#3026]
- Attempt to fix quitting application when shutdown or logout issued [#3199]
- Support merging database custom data [#3002]
- Fix opening URLs with non-http schemes [#3153]
- Fix data loss due to not reading all database attachments if duplicates exist [#3180]
- Fix entry context menu disabling when using keyboard navigation [#3199]
- Fix behaviors when canceling an entry edit [#3199]
- Fix processing of tray icon click and doubleclick [#3112]
- Update group in preview widget when focused [#3199]
- Prefer DuckDuckGo service over direct icon download (increases resolution) [#2996]
- Remove apply button in application settings [#3019]
- Use winqtdeploy on Windows to correct deployment issues [#3025]
- Don’t mark entry edit as modified when attribute selection changes [#3041]
- Use console code page CP_UTF8 on Windows if supported [#3050]
- Snap: Fix locking database with session lock [#3046]
- Snap: Fix theming across Linux distributions [#3057]
- Snap: Use SNAP_USER_COMMON and SNAP_USER_DATA directories [#3131]
- KeeShare: Automatically enable WITH_XC_KEESHARE_SECURE if quazip is found [#3088]
- macOS: Fix toolbar text when in dark mode [#2998]
- macOS: Lock database on switching user [#3097]
- macOS: Fix global Auto-Type when the database is locked [#3138]
- Browser: Close popups when database is locked [#3093]
- Browser: Add tests [#3016]
- Browser: Don’t create default group if custom group is enabled [#3127]
|Operating systems||Windows 7, Linux, macOS, Windows Server 2012, Windows 8, Windows 10, Windows Server 2016|