Google has released version 41 of its Chrome web browser. Google Chrome is available for Windows, Linux, and OS X. There are also versions for Android and iOS, but they follow a slightly different release schedule. Version 41 includes various new app and extension APIs and no fewer than 51 security vulnerabilities have been fixed.
Stable Channel Update
The Chrome team is delighted to announce the promotion of Chrome 41 to the stable channel for Windows, Mac and Linux. Chrome 41.0.2272.76 contains a number of fixes and improvements, including:
- A number of new apps/extension APIs
- Lots of under the hood changes for stability and performance
A list of changes is available in the log†
Security Fixes and Rewards
Note: Access to bug details and links may be kept restricted until a majority of users are updated with a fix. We will also retain restrictions if the bug exists in a third party library that other projects similarly depend on, but haven’t yet fixed.
This update includes 51 security fixes† Below, we highlight fixes that were contributed by external researchers. Please see the Chromium security page for more information.
-  high CVE-2015-1212: Out-of-bounds write in media.
-  high CVE-2015-1213: Out-of-bounds write in skia filters.
-  high CVE-2015-1214: Out-of-bounds write in skia filters.
-  high CVE-2015-1215: Out-of-bounds write in skia filters.
-  high CVE-2015-1216: Use after free in v8 bindings.
-  high CVE-2015-1217: Type confusion in v8 bindings.
-  high CVE-2015-1218: Use after free in dom.
-  high CVE-2015-1219: Integer overflow in webgl.
-  high CVE-2015-1220: Use-after-free in gif decoder.
-  high CVE-2015-1221: Use after free in web databases.
-  high CVE-2015-1222: Use after free in service workers.
-  high CVE-2015-1223: Use after free in dom.
-  high CVE-2015-1230: Type confusion in v8.
-  Medium CVE-2015-1224: Out-of-bounds read in vpx decoder.
-  Medium CVE-2015-1225: Out-of-bounds read in pdfium.
-  Medium CVE-2015-1226: Validation issue in debugger.
-  Medium CVE-2015-1227: Unitialized value in blink.
-  Medium CVE-2015-1228: Uninitialized value in rendering.
-  Medium CVE-2015-1229: Cookie injection via proxies.
We would also like to thank all security researchers that worked with us during the development cycle to prevent security bugs from ever reaching the stable channel. The total value of additional rewards and their recipients will be updated here when all reports have gone through the reward panel.
As usual, our ongoing internal security work was responsible for a wide range of fixes:
-  CVE-2015-1231: Various fixes from internal audits, fuzzing and other initiatives.
- Multiple vulnerabilities in V8 fixed at the tip of the 4.1 branch (currently 220.127.116.11).
|Operating systems||Windows 7, Linux, Windows XP, macOS, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2012, Windows 8, Windows 10|