Apple has version 13.5 of iOS released. From version 13, iOS is only suitable for the iPhone and the iPads have been given their own OS, the main difference being the extra options to use the larger screen. In version 13, Apple has, among other things, added a dark mode, users can log in to third-party apps and sites with their Apple ID via Sign in, and support keyboard typing by swiping. Version 13.5 should, among other things, unlock the phone faster when you wear a face mask and contains the Covid-19 tracker API.
iOS 13.5 speeds up access to the passcode field on devices with Face ID when you are wearing a face mask and introduces the Exposure Notification API to support COVID-19 contact tracing apps from public health authorities. This update also introduces an option to control automatic prominence of video tiles on Group FaceTime calls and includes bug fixes and other improvements.
Face ID and Passcode
- Simplified unlock process for devices with Face ID when you are wearing a face mask
- Passcode field automatically presented after swiping up from the bottom of the Lock screen when you are wearing a face mask
- Also works when authenticating with the App Store, Apple Books, Apple Pay, iTunes, and other apps that support signing in with Face ID
- Exposure Notification API to support COVID-19 contact tracing apps from public health authorities
- Option to control automatic prominence on Group FaceTime calls so video tiles do not change size when a participant speaks
- Option to automatically share health and other essential information from your Medical ID with emergency services when you place an emergency call (US only)
This update also includes bug fixes and other improvements.
- Fixes an issue where users may see a black screen when trying to play streaming video from some websites
- Addresses an issue in the share sheet where suggestions and actions may not load
Some features may not be available for all regions or on all Apple devices. For information on the security content of Apple software updates, please visit this website.