Last week a new stable release of Rockbox was released with version number 3.3. Rockbox is an open source alternative to the firmware of many portable music players, including several models from Apple, Archos, Cowon and iRiver. The firmware adds additional functionality such as support for multiple formats and the ability to delete or rename files from the player. An extensive overview of the extra options can be found on this page be found, a faq stands here. Below are the main changes that have been made to the Meuktracker since the previous entry:
Some new things since version 3.2:
- picture flow can now start and control playback
- Rockbox now supports scripting using the LUA language
- Rockbox can now read JPEGs for Album Art. (JPEG decoder added to core)
- Increased battery life on some targets by preventing WPS from updating while backlight is off.
- New alternative, number-aware sorting for the file browser (disabled by default).
- USB enabled on Sandisk Sansa c200v1 and e200v1, iRiver H10 and Olympus M:Robe 100. Unfortunately we had to leave out USB on the iPods this time.
- apple: 1st through 5.5th generation iPod, iPod Mini and 1st generation iPod Nano (not the Shuffle, 2nd/3rd/4th gen Nano, Classic or Touch)
- Archos: Jukebox 5000, 6000, Studio, Recorder, FM Recorder, Recorder V2 and Ondio
- cowon: iAudio X5, X5V, X5L, M5, and M5L
- iRiver: H100, H300 and H10 series
- Olympus: M:Robe 100
- SanDisk: Sansa c200, e200 and e200R series (not the v2 models/AMS models)
- Toshiba: Gigabeat X and F series (not the S series)