Do you want to update to macOS Mojave? Then that is a good reason to give your Mac a clean installation right away! If your computer has become somewhat slower over time, you will start with a clean slate again in this way. In that case you need a startup disk with the installation of macOS Mojave. In addition, such a startup disk is useful if you want to install Mojave on multiple Macs. In this workshop you will learn how to make a startup disk from an external hard drive or USB stick (of at least 8 GB).
You need this: a USB stick or other storage medium with at least 8 GB of free space . Make sure the disk or stick you are using is empty.
Please note: if you give your Mac a clean installation, all your files will be deleted. So first create a backup with Time Machine!
Startup disk with installation macOS Mojave
- Download macOS Mojave from the Mac App Store
- During the download you have time to format and rename the USB stick or external disk. Open ‘Disk Utility’, select the USB stick or disk and erase it with the structure ‘Mac OS Extended (journaled)’ and the name ‘Mojave’ (without quotes).
- Finished downloading? Close the opened installation. The installation of macOS Mojave is now stored in the Applications folder
- Open Terminal and execute the following command (without the number at the beginning of course.) The easiest method is to copy the command (Cmd + C) and to paste it into Terminal (Cmd + V):
sudo / Applications / Install macOS Mojave.app/Contents/Resources/ createinstallmedia --volume / Volumes / Mojave --nointeraction
- Press Enter and enter your password.You will not see this password, but type stiffly and press Enter.
- Then take a cup of coffee, because this process can take a while, only if you have ‘Install media now available … “Be there, you’re done and you can close Terminal.
Ready? Your USB stick or external hard drive is now a boot disk with the installation of macOS Mojave. Restart the Mac and hold down the Option button. that you have made appears next to the hard disk (or disks)
If you want to perform a clean installation of macOS Mojave, select the startup disk and then choose “Disk Utility.” From here you can erase your hard drive (make sure you have backed up!) And then run the installation of macOS Mojave. After the first part of the installation has finished, restart your Mac. Then follows the second part of the installation, then the first configuration of your clean installation begins.