RARLAB has released a new version of the company’s popular WinRAR file archive. WinRAR 5.80 is available for all supported operating systems, including Windows, Linux, Mac Os X and Android.
Existing and new users can download the latest version of the file archiving software from the official company website.
WinRAR 5.80 contains numerous changes. The changelog list contains a total of 20 changes / improvements and various bug fixes.
RAR is the standard archive format, but WinRAR also supports other formats such as zip or 7z. The latter benefits from an oath increase to 2048 characters from the previous 260 characters.
Another useful change is that the file extension remains visible if archive or file names are too long to be displayed in the progress window for archiving or extraction. Earlier, WinRAR cut the name at the end, which often meant that the file extension was not displayed.
In this version, they are truncated by removing the path component and symbols in the middle, but retaining the beginning of the file name and file extension.
WinRAR users who create an archive of multiple files with the same name (but differ when it comes to file extension) may notice that WinRAR represents the file name as archive name by default. If readme.text and readme.css are added, WinRAR suggests using readme.rar as the archive file name. The software suggested the name based on the parent folder name for different selected files previously.
Another change allows WinRAR to read default values for command-line switches from rar.ini files.
- The archiving speed has been improved for large NTFS alternative data streams on multi-core CPU systems.
- Password prompt is only displayed once for encrypted search results if the files are found in the same archive. CTRL-A now selects all files from the search results.
- Copy and paste operations from large archives no longer fail under certain circumstances.
- RAR4 format recovery volumes use “the same width of the volume number field as corresponding RAR volumes” in the new version.
- File and progress bar is displayed when extracting archives tar.bz2, tar.gz, tar.lz, tar.xz, tar.z (previously only the total progress was displayed).
- Many command line changes.
- Various bug fixes, e.g. solution for extraction errors when valid .gz archives are unpacked.