PowerArchiver is available in a standard, a professional and a toolbox edition, with prices ranging from 23 to 50 euros. The standard version gives you an extensive archiving program. Professional adds, among other things, a backup function, an Outlook plug-in and the possibility to create iso files. Lastly, the Toolbox version comes with a one-year license for BitDefender Internet Security, and can burn optical discs and create virtual disk drives, and is a sftp client.
In version 2018 we see the return of the optional ribbon interface, the appearance can be customized with themes, various improvements have been made with regard to the packing and unpacking of zip files and there is now an internal viewer for pdf files. The complete release notes can be found below.
Modern / Ribbon GUI
Thanks to the optimization and use of Microsoft Windows Ribbon framework, Modern UI option is back! In 2017 we had to remove Modern UI option due to the new 64-bit version that made everything a bit slower, and PA would load too slow on older computers. Thanks to the Microsoft Windows Ribbon framework, startup speed has been optimized and now it starts as fast as 1s. We also added beautiful new icon pack to be used with Modern UI. Modern UI adapts to the Windows version you have, so it will look different on Windows 7 vs. Windows 10.
Optimized Classic UI with full skinning support
Default option is still Classic UI, but now completely reworked for 2018. All new Classic UI is simplified and optimized for maximum startup speed, as well as minimum memory usage. Speed optimizations made PowerArchiver 2018 the fastest PowerArchiver in history – it’s up 3x faster than PowerArchiver 2016 and 2017, and even faster than old versions like 2009. You’ll notice the difference when you start PowerArchiver, it’s now faster than 1s on modern computers (fastest we measured was 0.5s). As the result of optimizations, even shell operations are faster (0.3s) and it also takes 2x less RAM when in use. If you are a bored or classic interface, you can use it to get all the black look, office dark / white look or any of our 10+ available skins that add a bit of color to classic interface. There are also options for toolbar icons that can be changed independently from skins. More skins are showcased on our skins website here .
New ZIP engine, stronger with unlimited core / thread support
We reworked our ZIP engine, which now includes strongest zip combinations, supported by official Windows 7/8/10 zip tools (standard deflate codec). Up to 7% -8% better compression than before maintaining full compatibility with every single ZIP utility on the market. New engine will use all of your cpu threads available and is multi-core threaded by block, not file, so even single file will be sped up considerably. This gives it maximum speed with new 16-24 thread processors. Previous engine is now fast and fastest speed levels, with speed also improved to 2x on large files. Compared to the competition, it is faster than WinZIP at similar compression levels, and much stronger than WinRAR.
Internal, fully independent PDF Viewer
Built in PDF viewer has been a # 2 requested feature ever since Microsoft started changing things in Windows 8, when it comes to reading PDFs inside PowerArchiver. As you have requested, we have now added a special internal PDF viewer that is fast and easy to use PDFs without any additional pdf tools installed. Quick and efficient, all that you need for PDF viewing and printing
Multiple tabs support
PowerArchiver 2018 has multiple tabs support for opening several archives in the same interface. This enables easy copy and paste between the archives, and lets you minimize your memory usage significantly. By the default, when you open multiple archives, they will all be added to the tabs of the same PowerArchiver interface.
Advanced Codec Pack (.pa) – Improved!
Best and strongest compression format is constantly improved. After the September 2017 update, we have now added better mp3 and jpeg codecs. Try the PA format for yourself and see how much better it is than zip, zipx, rar and 7z. Advanced Codec Pack (.pa) has special codecs for docx, pdf, mp3, jpeg, exe, text and other file types, that will automatically give you better compression than anything else on the market. It will also be a block based file deduplication and provides strongest security currently available in archives, with BWTS + 256 bit AES encryption, using FIPS 140-2 validated encryption components.
Many other updates and improvements
- SecureFTP Improvements – SecureFTP client has been thoroughly updated for more reliable performance and nicer icons.
- Backup, Burner, Encryption Improvements – Various small changes, enhancements to the backup, Burner and Encryption suites.
- New open / save windows – Now using more modern Windows 10 Open / Save windows that allow for easier searching for files / folders.
- Usability improvements everywhere – Added filters to the Add window, […]
- Join Tool – Added Join tool that will merge several archives into one.
- Added Deflate64 compression to the ZIP engine, for slightly stronger compression.
- Various impro vended to compression engines – based on user feedback, improved reading of various archives
- Improved Portable version – Improved portable version, both x86 and x64 available. No need for installation, super fast startup and many tools in one simple to use portable package. Requires no installation, saves all settings and has support for shell extensions (unique)!
- Smoother installation and updates system. Update patches can be as low as 300 kB.
- Great 64-bit version used by default via single installer, recommended by most users. Improved support for older 32-bit systems such as Windows XP and 32-bit Windows 7.
- Improved Enterprise installations (.MSI) – now package offline help file inside, without need to install it separately anymore.