ConeXware released the first release candidate of the archiving program PowerArchiver 11.6 on Wednesday. This program can handle common archive types such as zip, 7z, cab, lha tar, gzip, bzip2, rar, arj, arc and ace. In addition, it can also read CD or DVD images, such as iso, bin, img and nrg. PowerArchiver is available in two different versions: a standard and a professional edition. The first contains everything we’ve come to expect from the old PowerArchiver; the other can also burn CDs, DVDs and Blu-ray discs, create ISO files and also mount them as a virtual drive, and lastly can also be used as an ftp client. New in version 11.6 is support for zipx, a compression method introduced by WinZip in version 12.1. The full changelog of this release shows the following changes and improvements:
- Support for extracting ZIPX JPEG format, PowerArchiver becomes only application after WinZip 12 to fully support ZIPX format.
- Memory usage improvements – up to 1 MB less memory used.
- Faster explorer view.
- PA uses ZIP as default compression when PA has not been run.
- Spanning now enabled when Queue is used. * Improved Burner engine.
- Issue with compressing unicode files in non-english Windows (such as Chinese versions of Windows).
- File format selection resets when open dialogue is used to select new filename.
- FTP profile selection in backup gets reset.
- Issue with 7zip and encrypt filename option.
- Span is available when PAE encryption is selected.
- Update save window does not always default to my documents.
- Some Pro options still available when registered as Standard license.
- Mount Virtual DVD option not showing up in shell.
- Other PA settings not saved if PA is restarted after registration.
- Right click menu not showing in backup list.
PowerArchiver 2009 11.00 – click on the image for a larger version
|Version number||11.60 RC1|
|Operating systems||Windows 7, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008|