In July 2017, version 1.7.13 of Media Player Classic – Home Cinema was released and the developers indicated that they will continue no more new versions would bring out. However, the source code is open source, and a developer known as clsid at the Doom9 website and a long-time member of mpc-hc now releases new “unofficial” versions from time to time. These mainly contain small improvements and the latest versions of the LAV Filters and MediaInfo are always included. The changelog for version 1.9.14 can be found below.
- Updated LAV Filters to version 0.75.1
- Some optimizations in the filter graph builder. Should give a small reduction in file loading time in some situations.
- Added a small safezone above and below the seekbar where (accidental) mouse clicks/drags are ignored.
- Improved backwards framestep for DVDs. It now seeks back ~500ms to ensure it shows a different frame. The DVD Navigator unfortunately does not offer better accuracy.
- Improved region code handling for DVDs
- Added support for loading external fonts for SSA/ASS subtitles. The player check for “fonts” subfolder in location of video file.
- Fixed regression that broke loading of audio dub through command line parameter
Overview of features
A lot of people seem to be unaware of some of the awesome features that have been added to MPC-HC in the past years. Here is a list of useful options and features that everyone should know about:
- Dark interface: Menu > View > Dark Theme
When using dark theme it is also possible to change the height of the seekbar and size of the toolbar buttons.
Options > Advanced
- Video preview on the seekbar: Options > Tweaks > Show preview on seek bar
- Adjust playback speed: Menu > Play > Playback rate
The buttons in the player that control playback rate take a 2x step by default. This can be customized to smaller values (like 10%):
Options > Playback > Speed step
Adjusting playback speed works best with the internal audio renderer. This also has automatic pitch correction.
Options > Playback > Output > Audio Renderer
- MPC-HC can remember playback position, so you can resume from that point later
Options > Player > History
- You can quickly seek through a video with Ctrl + Mouse Scrollwheel.
- You can jump to next/previous file in a folder by pressing PageUp/PageDown.
- You can perform automatic actions at end of file. For example to go to next file or close player.
Options > Playback > After Playback (permanent setting)
Menu > Play > After Playback (for current file only)
- AB repeat
You can loop a segment of a video. press [ and ] to set start and stop markers.
- You can rotate/flip/mirror/stretch/zoom the video
Menu > View > Pan&Scan
This is also easily done with hotkeys (see below).
- There are lots of keyboard hotkeys and mouse actions to control the player. They can be customized as well.
Options > Player > Keys
Tip: there is a search box above the table.
- You can stream videos directly from Youtube and many other video websites
put youtube-dl.exe in the MPC-HC installation folder.
Then you can open website URLs in the player: Menu > File > Open File/URL
You can even download those videos: Menu > File > Save a copy
Tip: to be able to download in best quality with youtube-dl, it is recommended to also put ffmpeg.exe in the MPC-HC folder.
Several configuration options are found here: Options > Advanced
- Play HDR video
This requires using madVR or MPC Video Renderer.
After installation these renderers can be selected here:
Options > Playback > Output
- Ability to search for and download subtitles, either automatically or manually (press D):
Options > Subtitles > Misc
- Besides all these (new) features, there have also been many bug fixes and internal improvements in the player in the past years that give better performance and stability. It also has updated internal codecs. Support was added for CUE sheets, WebVTT subtitles, etc.
|Operating systems||Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10|