Malwarebytes has released a beta release of version 2.1.0 of Anti-Malware. This program is aimed at fighting spy, ad and malware. Especially on the removal of malicious software that pretends to be a bona fide antivirus or antispyware solution, but in reality has less good intentions, such as ransom– or scareware† In addition to the free version, there is a paid variant, which offers additional functionality, including real-time protection.
In version 2.1.0, the user interface has been refreshed, among other things, the latest definitions are now always retrieved for a scan and a notification is given when new beta versions are available. Furthermore, quarantining items has become easier and the program has become better at recognizing and removing rootkits.
- Brand new UI design! Much cleaner look with a toned-down color scheme.
- Improved scan flow – all scans now automatically check for and apply the latest database updates so you’re always scanning with the latest protection. (Exception: this will not occur if you have the option to “check for updates before scanning” disabled.)
- You’ll automatically be prompted to download new program updates for the beta whenever they’re available. You can check back to this thread for details on the latest changes included in the new versions.
- Simplified Quarantine flow – threats detected are pre-selected for removal and users are presented with a single “Remove Selected” button. Clicking “Remove Selected” quarantines all checked items. If you uncheck any threats you will see a new dialog asking what action should be taken on the unselected items: Ignore Once, Ignore Always, Cancel.
- Improved malware protection capabilities, including enhanced rootkit detection and removal.
- The Minimize button now minimizes the main program window to the taskbar instead of the tray.
- Addressed numerous issues with Scheduled Scans, including showing the correct date for “Next schedule scan” on the dashboard.
- The What’s New / Release Notes included in the installer have not yet been updated and are showing old items from the 2.0.3 release.
- Text strings new to 2.1 have not yet been translated. (This will be happening over the next several weeks.)
- The tables throughout the UI will be updated for consistency and improved behavior prior to release.
- The informational module shown during scan (and on Scan Results page for Free and Trial) includes several links that are not yet active.
|Version number||220.127.116.119 beta|
|Operating systems||Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows 8, Windows 10|