Yesterday version 0.10.14 of the protocol analyzer Ethereal was released. This very extensive program can be used as a so-called packet sniffer and is able to analyze and monitor the various network protocols and data that is sent over the network. You can also use already saved data traffic as input for the program. A large number of changes have been made in this release, including three major security holes that have been patched. The complete changelog looks like this:
- The IRC dissector could go into an infinite loop. Versions affected: 0.10.13.
- The GTP dissector could go into an infinite loop. Versions affected: 0.9.1 to 0.10.13.
- iDefense found a buffer overflow in the OSPF dissector. Versions affected: 0.8.20 to 0.10.13.
New and Updated Features
- The Windows installer now ships with GTK+ 2.6 instead of GTK+ 2.4. This should fix several long-standing bugs.
- If you’re loading a saved capture file and press “Cancel”, Ethereal will now display the packets read up to that point. In previous versions, Ethereal would abort the attempt completely and clear the packet list.
- This means that if you’re loding a huge capture file, you can stop loading in the middle and still be able to analyze part of the file.
- The maximum number of files allowed in a ring buffer has been increased from 1024 to 10,000.
- OID to name resolution has been improved.
- TCP graphs now handle upper and lower bounds better.
New Protocol Support
- 3Com Netjack200, CDT, CIGI, DAP, DISP, DOP, DSP, FTBP, MS NLB, NBAP, NCP SSS, NCS, NHRP, P_Mul, RNSAP, SMB2, STANAG 5066, TIPC, UDP-Lite, X.501
- ACSE, AIM, ALCAP, AMR, ANSI MAP, BER, BitTorrent, BOOTP, CAMEL, CMP, CMS, COPS, CRMF, DCCP, DCERPC (DCERPC, DSSETUP, INITSHUTDOWN, NT, WINREG), DEC DNA RT, DNP, DTP, eDonkey, ENIP, ESS, Etheric, FC-DNS, FC-FZS, FMIPv6, GRE, GSM A, GSM MAP, GTP, H.225, H.235, H.245, H.248, H.263, H. 450, IAPP, IEEE 802.11, INAP, IP, IPv6, IRC, ISIS LSP, ISUP, IUUP, Juniper, LLDP, M3UA, MIP, MIPv6, Modbus/TCP, MTP3, NCP, NDPS, NDS, NEMO, NMAS, NTLMSSP, OSPF, PER, PN-DCP, PPP CHAP, PPPoE, PVFS2, Q.931, RADIUS, RANAP, RDT, RLOGIN, RMT, ROS, RTCP, RTP, RTSE, S4406, SCCP, SCTP, SES, SIP, SMB, SNDCP , SRVLOC, STUN, T.38, UMA, WINS Replication, X.411, X.420, X.509
New and Updated Capture File Support
- DOS Sniffer, Endace ERF, HP-UX nettl, IBM iSeries traces, Tektronix K12
|Operating systems||Windows 9x, Windows NT, Windows 2000, Linux, Windows XP, Solaris, Windows Server 2003|