The Overwatch League, the professional esports league of the game Overwatch, is canceling all events for the remainder of March and April. However, that does not mean that all scheduled matches will also be cancelled.
Blizzard said in a statement that it has decided to cancel all Overwatch League events in March and April. The company says it is working closely with esports teams to ensure that all matches are not played until it is safe and logistically feasible.
That seems to suggest that the games will also be canceled, but Activision Blizzard Esports CEO Pete Vlastelica, makes clear on Twitter Twitter that the matches continue; they also become common broadcast, probably in the form of regular streams on YouTube, as Activision Blizzard has an exclusive deal with Google for the esports broadcasts.
This current, third season should have been the debut of the system where teams play at home and away, and thus have to fly around the world to settle the matches in other teams’ cities. For example, there should have been competitions and events in Paris, London, Boston, Toronto, San Francisco, Atlanta and Dallas and Washington.
Earlier, Overwatch games in China were canceled due to concerns about the corona virus. It concerned matches in Shanghai, Guangzhou and Hangzhou, which were moved to South Korea and later canceled there as well.
Blizzard’s current decision also likely stems from the fact that some governments had already imposed restrictions. For example, before the event to be held by Paris Eternal, one of the two European Overwatch League teams, a French ministerial ban was already in force for meetings of a thousand people or more. This event was scheduled for April 11 and 12 and was the first event in the West to be cancelled.