OM Digital Solutions, the company that emerged from the imaging division of Olympus, is introducing the brand name OM System as a replacement for the Olympus brand name. Under this new brand name, the company will also come with a new, high-end m4/3 camera.
OM Digital Solutions has set up a website for the introduction of the new brand. The OM System logo is also already appearing on Olympus consumer sites from different regions. Not only the m4/3 cameras and lenses will now be sold under the new brand name; this will also apply to audio products, compact digital cameras and binoculars, for example.
In addition, the company announces the arrival of a new camera. Olympus, along with Panasonic, was the only company active in the micro four thirds interchangeable lens camera system. OM Digital Solutions continues this with a camera that uses this sensor format. The company hasn’t given much concrete details yet, but says it will significantly improve performance and provide an “unparalleled photographic experience.”
The Olympus E-M1X is the current top model; it is unclear whether the new camera should outperform this existing model. The new camera could possibly use the IMX472, a new m4/3 sized stacked sensor from Sony Semiconductor. Among other things, the read speed will increase considerably with this sensor. Camera website DPReview has already speculated that it is probably no coincidence that both OM Digital Solutions and Panasonic are coming with new cameras in the near future.
In the summer of last year it became clear that Olympus would sell its camera division to investment company Japan Industrial Partners. At the beginning of this year, the transfer of this Imaging business unit to JIP was completed, in the form of OM Digital Solutions, a standalone unit in which JIP owns 95 percent of the shares, and Olympus the remaining 5 percent.
From minute 08:48 a short teaser is shown of what will probably be the new camera.