Yesterday Apple presented the new iPhone 13. If you have a brand new iPhone, you naturally also want the battery to last better than that of your previous phone. The iPhone 13 battery is much better than that of the iPhone 12! Small caveat: on paper at least, because we have to make do with the data that Apple now provides us with.
iPhone 13 thicker and heavier due to the battery
The iPhone 12 models – with the exception of the iPhone 12 Pro Max – all had a smaller battery capacity than the iPhone 11. You should hardly notice this in daily life, but many people barely got through the day with their iPhone. The iPhone 12 mini with the smallest battery was especially notorious.
Apple has now put a lot of effort into battery life. The iPhone 13 is even slightly thicker to make room for a larger battery: 7.65 mm instead of 7.4 mm. You will also notice it by the weight of the devices.
- iPhone 13 mini – 141 grams (was 135 grams)
- iPhone 13 – 174 grams (from 164 grams)
- iPhone 13 Pro – 204 grams (from 189 grams)
- iPhone 13 Pro Max – 240 grams (from 228 grams)
Incidentally, the new A15 Bionic chip also plays a role in extending the battery life. The chip is a lot more energy efficient than last year’s.
iPhone 13 battery life
Apple now indicates that most users will experience that the battery life is quite stretched. Exactly how much, of course, also depends on how you use your iPhone, but these are the averages:
- iPhone 13 mini: 1.5 hours longer than the iPhone 12 mini
- iPhone 13: 2.5 hours longer than the iPhone 12
- iPhone 13 Pro: 1.5 hours longer than the iPhone 12 Pro
- iPhone 13 Pro: 2.5 hours longer than the iPhone 12
Is it all as beautiful as Apple makes it out to be? We’ll notice that soon enough. The new iPhone 13 will go on sale this Friday, September 17, and will be in stores exactly one week later.