Asus uses a Tomato-derived firmware called Asuswrt for its routers, such as the RT-AC68 and RT-AX88. This firmware is, except for a few drivers, open source, with the closed binaries included. Asuswrt-Merlin, in turn, is a modified version of the original Asus firmware. It includes bug fixes and minor improvements, but still tries to stay close to the original, so that it remains possible to add new features that Asus introduces to the code. Version 386.8 has been released, a version that has only been released for a few models, and includes the following changes and improvements:
- This release is only available for the RT-AX88U as well as the two new models listed below.
- Added support for the GT-AXE16000.
- Added support for the GT-AX11000_Pro.
- Added support for new RT-AX88U hardware revision.
- Merged with GPL 386_49634.
- Re-enabled IPv6 DDNS support.
- Once again block router DNS access over IPv6 when using DNSFilter on a pre-HND model (reverted back to 386.7 behavior for that scenario)
- Inaccurate nvram usage on Sysinfo page for some HND models. Now accurately report kernel nvram usage.
- WiFi Radar page alignment.
- AiMesh node new firmware popup would use the device model (like RT-AC66U_B1) rather than the product id (like RT-AC68U) for the generated download URL.
- OVPN client with DNS set to strict had lower priority than DNSPrivacy servers.
- IPv6 DNS may be missing if DNSPrivacy is enabled.
- Wifi Radar pages missing on XT12.
- QRcode failing to generate if the SSID contained unicode characters (like emojis or other UTF8 entities)