System 76, known for the Linux workstation and laptops, has released version 21.04 of Pop!_OS. Pop!_OS is an Ubuntu-based Linux distribution that uses a System 76 custom Gnome desktop environment called Cosmic. It also has drivers for AMD and nVidia video cards on board, making it particularly suitable for gamers. The release notes for this release are as follows:
Pop!_OS 21.04: A Release of COSMIC Proportions
Pop!_OS is developed to help you unleash your potential by providing you efficient tools that streamline your workflow. Pop!_OS 21.04 continues this ethos with COSMIC, a set of catered customizations geared towards accommodating a variety of use cases. Continue below for details on these new features!
Pop!_OS COSMIC (Computer Operating System Main Interface Components) gives you the freedom to navigate your workflow via your mouse, keyboard, and/or trackpad. Each navigation comes with a variety of shiny new features for you to enjoy:
During initial setup, you’ll be prompted to personalize your defaults by configuring COSMIC customizations to your liking. Each screen of the initial setup offers a preview of what your experience will look like. You can always make adjustments in Settings later on.
Mouse: To Dock or Not To Dock
That’s one of many questions. The COSMIC desktop introduces a highly flexible dock to Pop!_OS that you can customize to your heart’s content, including:
- Expanding full-screen or condensing to a central island
- Arranging on the bottom, left, or right side of the screen
- Adjusting size to small, medium, large, or a custom setting
- Removing new icons for Workspaces, Applications, or the Launcher
- Hiding the dock, or intelligently hiding the dock when windows approach the bottom of the screen
- Going dockless, if having icons on-tap doesn’t fit your workflow
Mouse: Take it from the Top…Bar
The most notable change in the top bar is that the Activities Overview has been split into two views: Workspaces and Applications. This focused approach serves to reduce confusion while you navigate your desktop.
Tinker with the top bar to align your desktop with your mental habits. Whether you need a more minimalist setup or want to realign buttons, this update has you covered. New options for the top bar include:
- Remove the Workspaces and/or Applications button
- Move Date/Time & Notifications to the top-left or top-right corner
- Toggle a hot corner to open the Workspaces view by flicking your mouse to the top-left corner of your screen
Keyboard: Super Key to the Rescue!
By default, the Super key opens the launcher in Pop!_OS 21.04. With the launcher, you can:
- Launch applications
- Open specific menus in Settings
- Perform searches on specific websites (ex. google system76)
- Perform calculations using the prefix: = (ex. =5+7+6)
- Search recent files using the prefix: d: (ex. d:FileName)
- Open file folders using one of two prefixes: / or ~/ (ex. ~/FolderName)
- Run a command using one of three prefixes: t: or : or run (ex. run top)
- Show launcher features by typing a question mark
It’s now possible to launch a search option in the launcher using Ctrl + Number, close a selected window (Ctrl + Q), and launch an application on dedicated graphics by right-clicking on the application.
If the launcher isn’t an efficient fit for your personal workflow, the Super key can also be configured to open either the Workspaces or Applications view!
A prequel to the tangible holograms of the future, trackpad gestures give your hand full command over your workspace. Here are some swift motions to keep you navigating smoothly:
- Swipe four fingers right on the trackpad to open the Applications view
- Swipe four fingers left to open the Workspaces view
- Swipe four fingers up or down to switch to another workspace
- Swipe with three fingers to switch between open windows
- Optional minimize and maximize buttons for windows have been added! Minimize is enabled by default, and maximize can be enabled in Settings.
- Tile windows with your mouse! Just click and drag tiled windows to rearrange them to your liking. A hint will appear to show you where it will be arranged on drop.
- The recovery partition can now be upgraded through the OS Upgrade & Recovery menu in Settings!
- The launcher’s search algorithm has been updated to prioritize relevant applications for a smoother experience.
- A plugin system was added to the launcher so that you can create your own plugins to search with.
|License type||Conditions (GNU/BSD/etc.)|