KeePass Password Safe is a well-known open source password manager that was originally developed for the Windows platform, but can later work on other platforms with the help of Mono. KeePassXC is being developed in C++ with Qt for the graphics part giving it a custom look on Linux, macOS and Windows. Allows accounts to be stored, including associated data, such as username, password, and url. All data is stored securely in an aes, twofish or ChaCha20 encrypted database. Furthermore, the program can automatically generate passwords and import and export lists. More information can be found at this page. The release notes for version 2.6.4 are as follows:
KeePassXC 2.6.4 released
This new version fixes various minor bugs, updates a vulnerable third-party dependency, and enables live theme switching. Whereas previously, the user had to restart KeePassXC in order to switch between light and dark mode, this can now be done at runtime without the need for a restart. On Windows and macOS, the application now also responds automatically to theme changes in the system, working much better with Big Sur’s “Auto” theme.
The pre-built Windows and macOS binaries ship with an updated version of libgcrypt, (the third-party library we use for cryptographic primitives), which fixes a buffer overflow vulnerability. Since KeePassXC does not decrypt arbitrary untrusted data (TLS for fetching Favicons is not handled by libgcrypt), we believe the impact on our users to be low, but recommend upgrading ASAP nonetheless. AppImages for Linux ship with an older version of the library which was not affected.
As an additional treat, KeePassXC 2.6.4 is the first release for which we provide native ARM64 builds for the new Apple Silicon M1 Macs. For the time being, the ARM64 build comes without support for signed KeeShare containers due to dependency incompatibilities. If this functionality is needed, use the Intel build instead (which works just as fine with Rosetta2).
- Automatically adapt to light/dark system theme changes (Windows/macOS only) #6034
- Show window title as tooltip on system tray #5948
- Compress Snap release as LZO for faster initial startup #5877
- Password generator: Set maximum selectable password length to 999 #5937
- Fix crash on app close when using SSH agent #5935
- Fix KDF selection showing wrong item when using Argon2id #5923
- Automatically close About dialog on database lock if it is still open #5947
- Linux: Fix automatic launch at system startup with AppImages #5901
- Linux: Fix click-to-move on empty area activating when using menus #5971
- Linux: Try multiple times to show tray icon if tray is not ready yet #5948
- macOS: Fix KeePassXC blocking clean shutdown #6002
|Operating systems||Windows 7, Linux, macOS, Windows 8, Windows 10|