Windows 7 receives 3 years extra support for large customers

Spread the love

Microsoft will provide major customers who use Windows 7 with security updates to January 2023. The offer only applies to customers who have volume licensing agreements with Microsoft and year on year the price is higher.

Mainstream support for Windows 7 already expired in 2015, which means that the os will no longer receive new functionalities. We are now in the extended support phase for the popular operating system; security updates will be made until January 14, 2020.
Customers with volume licensing agreements can therefore receive three years of extra support. In addition, customers with Windows Software Assurance or Windows 10 Enterprise or Education subscriptions receive a discount on this so-called Windows 7 Extended Security Updates . An amount is not mentioned in this offer, but Microsoft expert Mary Jo Foley states that in the past it was “several million dollars.”
At the same time, Microsoft is announcing the Desktop App Asure service. This service is offered at no extra cost to customers with Windows 10 Enterprise and Education. Microsoft says that research has shown that 99 percent of apps that work on Windows 7 also work on Windows 10, even with future W10 updates. The Redmond company therefore calls this service alive to ensure that the remaining 1 percent can be reported to Microsoft, after which an engineer gets to work. MS says they are “committed to completely eliminating compatibility as a stumbling block on Windows 10.”

You might also like