Version 3.40 of Sandboxie was released on Thursday. With this program it is possible to run other programs in Windows in a protected environment: developers call this a sandbox or sandbox. In this way, changes caused by programs such as Internet Explorer can be easily undone and there is no risk of affecting important parts of the operating system. Sandboxie can be used on Windows 2000 and above and a lifetime license costs 22 euros. Below is what has changed since version 3.38:
- Full support for Windows 7.
- Improved support for User Account Control (UAC) elevation: Elevation requests are handled by the Sandboxie Start.exe program. (Windows Vista/7. Elevation from a standard user account is not supported at this time.)
- Improved support for WinSxS assemblies eliminates error 14001 for sandboxed programs, and makes it possible to install a wider range of software.
- Configuration Protection: Sandboxie configuration can be locked for Administrator-only access or with a password.
- A new “Run As UAC Administrator” option appears in the Run Any Program window and the right-click Run Sandboxed sandbox selection window. (Windows Vista/7.)
- Sandbox folders are created with a Sandboxie icon.
- Tightened protection to prevent actions by malicious programs such as closing windows outside the sandbox, changing the password for the logged-on user account, changing system parameters or colors, or initiating logoff sequence.
- SandboxieCrypto service takes only a few seconds to start, rather than a few minutes. (Windows Vista/7.)
- Alleviate need for all programs in the sandbox to run as Administrator when installing new software, thus permitting software to be installed directly from the browser, for example. (Typically applies to Windows Vista/7.)
- color border appears even when the taskbar is hidden.
- Sandboxed programs have improved handling for arrival/removal of new drive letters.
- Improved support for sandboxed programs writing files into directory junctions and volume mount points.
- Improved access to hardware devices by sandboxed programs.
- Sandboxie AutoPlay cancellation when CD/DVD drives are forced honors the Disable Forced Programs fashion.
- Fixed a problem when Sandboxie is installed to a folder with non-English characters in its name.
- Changed default delete sandbox command for Eraserl secure delete:
Use -method DoD_E -resultsonerror rather than -method Gutmann -results.
- For a full list of changes, see topics and discussion in the Sandboxie Beta Version 3.39 forum.
Third party software:
- Improved compatibility with Kaspersky Internet Security 2010, Norton Internet Security 2010 and ZoneAlarm Security Suite 9.
- Improved interoperability of Microsoft Outlook under Sandboxie and Windows Desktop Search outside Sandboxie.
- Improved support with some download manager software.
- Macedonian translation contributed.
|Operating systems||Windows 7, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008|