Version 4.2.16 of Paint.NET has been released. This drawing and image editing program bridges the gap between the Paint supplied with Windows and expensive but very extensive programs such as Adobe Photoshop and Corel Photo Paint. Today, the program is also offered via the Windows Store offered, although a small fee is charged for that version. The following changes and improvements have been made in this release:
paint.net 4.2.16 is now available
This updates fixes and optimizes palette generation when saving at 8-bit depth or less, and also fixes any remaining issues with using “Auto-detect” for bit-depth. A new effect, Quantize (in the Effects -> Color menu), has been added, some bugs have been fixed, and bundled file type plugins have been updated.
List of changes since 4.2.15:
- New: Effect -> Color -> Quantize, which applies palette reduction to 256 colors or less, along with dithering. This is the same algorithm used when saving images at 8-bit color depth or lower.
- Fixed and improved palette generation when saving at 8-bit color depth or less
- Greatly optimized performance of palette generation and image quantization
- Added option to choose between Octree (default) and Median Cut algorithms for palette quantization when saving at 8-bit color depth or less
- Fixed a crash in Move tools when the selection was 0-width and/or 0-height
- Added tooltips w/ shortcut keys to the Tools dropdown in the toolbar
- Fixed IndirectUI ColorWheel rendering
- Fixed a crash in the Text tool when using Ctrl+(Left,Right,Backspace,Delete)
- Changed: New layers are now filled with #00000000 instead of #00FFFFFF
- Fixed a crash when working with selections (OutOfMemoryException)
- New: Effects can now access the Document’s DPI via EffectEnvironmentParameters.DocumentResolution
- Fixed drawing of the color palette in the Colors window when using some non-standard DPI scaling settings (eg 1.15x)
- Fixed a crash when using Threshold plugin
- Fixed the return value from PdnRegion.GetBoundsInt() so it’s not anchored at (0,0) unless it should be
- Fixed premultiplied-to-straight color conversion on some code paths
- Updated bundled AvifFileType plugin to v126.96.36.199, which includes performance optimizations and bug fixes. See its GitHub release page for more info.
- Updated bundled DDSFileTypePlus plugin to v188.8.131.52, which uses an updated version of DirectXTex (2021-04-06).
|Operating systems||Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10|