A beta release of version 4.3 of Disk Station Manager has been released. Synology DSM is the management software that runs on several of the company’s NAS products. The Disk, Cube and Rack Stations offer more than just extra storage space. For example, backups of all clients on the network can be made and files can be downloaded via http, ftp, bittorrent, usenet and emule, so that, for example, energy-hungry PCs can switch off at night, while the download just comes in. Furthermore, audio and video files can be streamed over the network via the built-in iTunes server, a dynamic website can be hosted using PHP and MySQL and the device can act as a print server.
Version 4.3 can only be installed over version 4.0 and is only suitable for the nas models ending in 10 or higher. For the other conditions and the different downloads, look at this page. A live demo is available on this page are being found. Version 4.3 contains a huge list of changes, too many to list here. Detailed information and images can be here are found, this is the changelog:
What’s New in DSM 4.3 Beta
- Windows Offloaded Data Transfer (ODX) Support
- Offloaded Data Transfer (ODX) introduces an efficient way to move data between a data source and destination by offloading the I/O burden to your storage device, thus saving network bandwidth, computation power on the host, and improving performance at the same time.
- The data source and destination can be on the same LUN, two different LUNs hosted on the same Synology NAS, or two LUNs on two different Synology NAS.
- If the data source and destination are located on LUNs located on the same volume, cloning will be processed by Synology Advanced LUN technology which saves up to 99.9% of the storage space consumption and accelerates cloning at the same time. To leverage Synology Advanced LUN technology for cloning on ODX, you are suggested to format the NTFS volume with 8K cluster size.
- To use ODX, the computer initiating the data transfer must be running Windows 8 or Windows Server 2012 and the type of iSCSI LUN has to be file-based iSCSI LUN with Synology Advanced LUN technology option enabled.
- Available on DS2413 +, DS713 +, RS10613xs +, RS3413xs +, DS1813 + DS1513 +, DS712 +, DS1512 + DS1812 +, DS3612xs, RS3412xs, RS3412RPxs, DS412 +, RS812 +, RS812RP +, RS2212 +, RS2212RP +, DS3611xs, RS3411xs, RS3411RPxs, DS2411 +, RS2211 +, RS2211RP +, DS1511 +, DS411, DS411+II, DS411+, DS1010+, RS810+, RS810RP+, DS710+ only.
- SSD TRIM Support
- SSD TRIM improves the read and write performance of volumes created on SSDs, increasing efficiency as well as extending the lifetime of your SSDs. See the list below for verified SSD with TRIM support.
- You may customize a schedule to choose when the system will perform TRIM.
- SSD TRIM is not available when an SHA cluster exists.
- TRIM cannot be enabled on iSCSI LUN.
- Available on DS2413 +, DS713 +, RS10613xs +, RS3413xs +, DS1813 + DS1513 +, DS712 +, DS1512 + DS1812 +, DS3612xs, RS3412xs, RS3412RPxs, DS412 +, RS812 +, RS812RP +, RS2212 +, RS2212RP +, DS3611xs, RS3411xs, RS3411RPxs, DS2411 +, RS2211 +, RS2211RP +, DS1511 +, DS411, DS411+II, DS411+, DS1010+, RS810+, RS810RP+, DS710+ only. TRIM cannot be enabled on RAID 0 or RAID 10 volumes on RS10613xs+.
- SSD Cache
- SSD cache is now supported on more models:DS2413+, DS713+, RS10613xs+, RS3413xs+, DS1813+, DS1513+, DS1512+, DS1812+, DS3612xs, RS3412xs, RS3412RPxs, DS412+, RS812+, RS812+, RS+, RS3412RPxs, DS412+, RS812+, RS812+RP, RS+, RS3412RPxs, DS412+, RS812+, RS812+RP.
- SSDs installed in any HDD slots can be mounted as cache to accelerate the performance of multiple volumes or LUNs.
- Trust Domain Support in Active Directory
- Users and groups belonging to trusted domains can be assigned privileges to access files or run applications after your DiskStation joins a Windows domain.
- You can specify how often the DiskStation automatically updates the domain user/group list.
- Broader LDAP Client Support
- Your DiskStation can now join an LDAP domain hosted by IBM Domino LDAP Server 8.5.
- If you use a different LDAP server with different attributes for account names and group names, there are now options to specify or customize how user and group information is mapped to LDAP attributes.
- NFS v4 support has been added, including pseudo file system and a stateful protocol.
- NFS v3 and v4 now support IPv6.
- NFS v3 and v4 security have been enhanced with Kerberos protocol, introducing three levels of security service: authentication, integrity (prevents tampering with NFS payload), and privacy (protects the content of NFS traffic from eavesdropping). Available on DS2413 +, DS713 +, RS10613xs +, RS3413xs +, DS1813 + DS1513 +, DS712 +, DS1512 + DS1812 +, DS3612xs, RS3412xs, RS3412RPxs, DS412 +, RS812 +, RS812RP +, RS2212 +, RS2212RP +, DS3611xs, RS3411xs, RS3411RPxs, DS2411 +, RS2211 +, RS2211RP +, DS1511 +, DS411, DS411+II, DS411+, DS1010+, RS810+, RS810RP+, DS710+, DS213j only.
- If Kerberos security flavor is implemented, you can map the NFS client to a local user, a domain user or a LDAP user.
- Additional NFS settings have been added for NFS v3 and NFS v4, such as default read and write packet size, or allow clients to access NFS servers with insecure, non-privileged ports.
- Speed Limit Scheduler
- Bandwidth speed limits can now be configured according to a schedule, so speed limits will take effect at specific times only.
- Varying speed limits can be customized for each user and group, allowing you to implement different limits at different times.
- Task Scheduler
- When creating tasks to automatically empty recycle bins, you can now define a retention policy to control what files are permanently deleted according to time, size, or file types.
- Self Service Password Recovery
- System admins can allow DSM local users (and LDAP users on Synology Directory Server) to conveniently reset passwords via email.
- HFS+ Support
- HFS External drives are supported in DSM 4.3.
- Read/Write is supported on DS2413+, DS713+, RS10613xs+, RS3413xs+, DS1813+, DS1513+, DS712+, DS1512+, DS1812+, DS3612xs, RS3412xs, RS3412RPxs, DS412+, RS812+, RS12812+, RS12812 RS2211RP+, DS1511+, DS411, DS411+II, DS411+, DS1010+, RS810+, RS810RP+, DS710+. Read only is supported on other models, and the maximum size is 2TB.
- HFS+ journal is not supported.
- File Station
- You can now create links to share folders with non-DSM users.
- Users allowed to create sharing links can now be specified.
- The size of thumbnails can be changed.
- You can drag-n-drop files or folder to your desktop to download them easily. Supports Google Chrome browser only.
- Enhanced the compatibility of mounting a share located on a Mac OS 10.7 (or later) via SMB file service. Supported on DS2413 +, DS713 +, RS10613xs +, RS3413xs +, DS1813 + DS1513 +, DS712 +, DS1512 + DS1812 +, DS3612xs, RS3412xs, RS3412RPxs, DS412 +, RS812 +, RS812RP +, RS2212 +, RS2212RP +, DS3611xs, RS3411xs, RS3411RPxs, DS2411 +, RS2211 +, RS2211RP +, DS1511 +, DS411, DS411+II, DS411+, DS1010+, RS810+, RS810RP+, DS710+ only.
- Advance Options for Windows File Service (SMB)
- The following advance options for Windows File Service (SMB) have been added: DirSort VFS module; Veto files (hide files according to specified criteria); symbolic links and wide links; MSDFS VFS module (allowing symbolic links to point to files or folders located on another server); save debug logs; and clear SMB cache files.
- Package Center
- A default volume on which packages being installed can be specified, simplifying package installation.
- Disk Usage Report
- You can easily remove duplicated files in the disk usage report.
- 3G/4G USB Dongle Support
- A 3G/4G USB dongle can be plugged into your NAS, allowing it to connect to a mobile network. On DS213air or DiskStations with Wi-Fi dongle, you can share your 3G/4G Internet access with tablets and laptops wirelessly.
- See thelist below for supported 3G/4G USB dongles.
- Wi-Fi Hotspot Enhancements
- Time-based Parental Control: Allows you to control when each client device connected to the DiskStation’s local network can access the Internet. The feature are available on DS213air only.
- UPnP Internet Gateway: Enable UPnP service to allow your DiskStation to become a UPnP Internet Gateway device, so that devices that are connected to the local network of the DiskStation can configure port forwarding settings with UPnP. For DS213air or other drives with USB Wi-Fi adapter plugged only.
- PPPoE Relay: Allows devices that are connected to the DiskStation to connect to the Internet via PPPoE connection. For DS213air or other devices with USB Wi-Fi adapters only.
- File System Check (FSCK) utility has been added.
- Built-in VPN client now supports L2TP over IPSec connection.
- ASCII support: Allows the DiskStation to properly transfer ASCII formatted plain text files via FTP.
- Apache has been upgraded to 2.2.24.
- PHP has been upgraded to 5.3.24.
- Additional Security options to enhance the system’s protection against cross-site request forgery attacks.
|Version number||4.3 build 3750 beta|