Xfire is a program specially written for gamers to communicate with each other. For example, not only can you chat with people on the contact list, but you can also see where they are currently playing and you can then add yourself to this game. At present, according to this page more than 500 games supported, of which 150 games can be joined directly from the program via the “one-click join”. The developers of Xfire have released version 1.49 with the following changes:
- Added balloon tray tooltips which are displayed every time a friend logs on or logs off, and every time a file download starts or completes. They can be disabled in the Tools | Options menu in the General tab.
- Changed the logo to the new official Xfire logo. We hope you like it!
- Major improvements to the Tools | Manage Screenshots dialog. Hit Scroll Lock + S while playing a game to take a screenshot.
- Xfire skins downloaded through the file download system now have a link in the infoview to select the new skin.
- Removed all DNS lookups from the file download system. This should make Xfire file downloads work for certain users that could not perform the lookups.
- Fixed an inconsistency in the Tools | Options | Games option to disable Xfire In-Game and the Tools | Options | Chat option to show chat messages in game.
- Improved use of the Tools | Options | Games tab for games with multiple possible .exe names.
- Fixed a problem with taking a screenshot while viewing a menu in Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory.
- Fixed numerous interface issues with group voice chat.
- Fixed a problem where the main window would not display properly for some Windows 9x users.
- Changed the IP address of our servers. For everyone who has to specifically open a hole in their firewall to run Xfire, open it to cs.xfire.com (now 220.127.116.11) port 25999, TCP.
- New games supported: Gun, The Movies, The Matrix – The Path of Neo, Contract JACK, BloodRayne, BloodRayne 2, Sourceforts, Need for Speed Most Wanted, John Deere North American Farmer, Zoo Tycoon 2 Endangered Species, Worms 4 Mayhem, Empire Earth II Art of Supremacy, Quake 4 Demo, Silkroad Online, and Flyff. We now support over 500 games.
This is planned to be the last release of 2005. Thanks to all of your support, this has been a pretty wonderful year for Xfire. Happy Holidays, Happy New Year, and we’ll have a new release for you very early in 2006!
VP of Engineering, Xfire
|Operating systems||Windows 9x, Windows 2000, Windows XP|