VMware has released version 12.1 of Fusion. Fusion is to macOS what Workstation Pro and Workstation Player are to Windows and Linux. The program makes it possible to create virtual machines on a macOS machine equipped with an Intel processor. This makes it possible to run Windows, Linux or Solaris alongside the existing operating system. New in version 12 is that the program can now be used for free in a private situation and we find support for macOS 11, containers, various new guest operating systems, DirectX 11 and OpenGL 4.1, usb 3.1 and vSphere 7.0.
- Optimized for macOS 11 Big Sur as host and guest
- New guest operating system support
- Windows 10 20H2
- Ubuntu 20.10
- RHEL 8.3
- Fedora 33
- Fusion health check – When VMware Fusion is running on macOS 10.15, the kernel extension issue can be easily fixed by a button click.
vctl kindto support KIND v0.9.0
- Performance improvements, bug fixes and security updates
- The user cannot use kind to export cluster logs for exploring.
- The user is unable to pass through the USB Ethernet Adapter devices to the guest while using Fusion 12.
- While trying to run a repair using the
vdiskmanagerutility in VMware Fusion, the following error displays:
Failed to initialize PhoneHome library
- Nested virtualization is now supported on the CPU models without the VMCS shadowing feature.
- If the Big Sur host is connected to VPN, then the VM cannot access the same network as that of the host.
Workaround: Connect to the VPN in the VM instead of connecting to the VPN on the host.