Ritlabs has version 6.0 of its email program The Bat! released. The program supports several pop3 and imap4 accounts, and has a Bayesian spam filter and extensive search and filtering capabilities. The Bat! is available in the flavors Home and Professional Edition, where students and non-profit organizations receive a discount on the purchase price. As usual, home users should also International Pack Updating. The difference between the Pro and Home editions is shown on this page Out of the blankets.
New in version 6.0 is, among other things, support for Internationalized Domain Names, which means that Chinese, Russian or Arabic characters can now be used, for example. Furthermore, there is now also a 64-bit version of the program available, which can only be downloaded later this month. The complete changelog for this release can be found below.
The developers have introduced important new features:
- The Bat! 6.0 supports Internationalized Domain Names (IDN), which means that along with Latin characters also domains with characters from other alphabets such as Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Russian are recognized correctly. Thus domain names containing alphabet-based characters with diacritics, such as German Umlaute and French accentuated vowels will be processed correctly from now on.
- The Bat! 6.0 is now a fully-Unicode application, which gives advantage to the users that work with multiple languages simultaneously. While previous versions worked mostly well with multiple languages in file names, subject lines, etc., there were places that a language different that Windows-default language “for non-Unicode programs” might not work well in The Bat! For example, it allows to use the German language under a Russian OS without erroneous presentation of such words as “unverschlьsselt“ (instead of “unverschlüsselt“). The Bat! 6.0 fully supports Unicode Standard that uses a unified digital code for the most of the world’s writing systems.
- The Bat! 6.0 is available in two versions – 32-bit and 64-bit. The new The Bat! 64-bit version will be released after November 21, 2013. It runs better under Windows 64-bit and can access Microsoft Exchange Server if MS Outlook 64-bit is installed. This enables the exchange of emails inside one group or enterprise.
- The Bat! is optimized to be displayed on high DPI monitors, it means that the program will be displayed correctly on any computer and under any Windows OS and it will correctly display bigger fonts.
- The Bat! 6.0 introduces a new Sorting Office option – it is now possible to extract files by masks.
There are several other new features and improvements:
- It is now possible to save message text in the UTF-8 format.
- The new %COPY(“text”, start, count) macro allows extracting a portion of characters provided by “text” starting from a certain character, eg %COPY(“%otext”, 1, 100) will return 100 characters starting from the first character of the original message text while replying or forwarding messages.
- Issues regarding the import of messages from large UNIX-mailbox files have been eliminated
- The Address Book remembers the “Lock Toolbars” option now
- The widths of the filter list columns in the Sorting Office are now remembered
- The problems connected with message Tags have been resolved
|Operating systems||Windows 7, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 8|
8.76MB – 26.76MB