Microsoft has released version 87 of Edge. This Chromium-based browser is available for Windows 7 and above, and macOS. There are also versions for Android and iOS. New in version 87, which will be rolled out over several days, is that websites that do not work in Internet Explorer and give an error there are now automatically opened in Edge. Furthermore, the highlighter in PDF documents can now be controlled from the keyboard and improvements have been made in printing. The complete release notes for this release look like this:
- Automatic redirection for incompatible sites from Internet Explorer to Microsoft Edge. Starting with the Microsoft Edge 87 Stable update, public websites that show an incompatibility message on Internet Explorer will be automatically redirected to Microsoft Edge. To learn more and to configure this experience, see Redirecting incompatible sites.
- Kiosk mode privacy features enabled . Starting with Microsoft Edge version 87, kiosk mode features that will help enterprises around the privacy of user data will be enabled. These features will enable experiences such as clear the user data on exit, delete downloaded files and to reset the configured start experience after a specified amount of idle time. Learn more about how to Configure Microsoft Edge kiosk mode
- Shopping features enabled by default . Starting with Microsoft Edge version 87 enterprise users can also benefit from shopping in Edge. With Shopping features, Microsoft Edge helps users to find coupons and better prices while shopping online. Coupon experience is available with this update and price comparison will be released in upcoming updates for Microsoft Edge 87. This feature can be configured through EdgeShoppingAssistantEnabled policy. See our Blog and Learn More about Microsoft Shopping.
- ClickOnce deployment enabled by default . ClickOnce is enabled by default in Microsoft Edge 87, which reduces the barriers for enterprises to deploy software and better align with Microsoft Edge Legacy browser behavior. Starting in Microsoft Edge 87, the ClickOnceEnabled policy’s “Not configured” state will reflect the new default ClickOnce state of Enabled (as compared to the previous default state of Disabled).
- The enterprise new tab page (NTP) integrates productivity with customizable, work-relevant feed content . The enterprise NTP blends the Office 365 productivity page we offer to users signed in with their work or school account with personalized, work-relevant company and industry feeds that are organized in a single page. Users will be able to recognize the familiar Office 365 content and Microsoft Search for Business powered by Bing. In addition, they can easily customize “My Feed” by choosing the most relevant content to them from the available content and modules for their organization. IT Administrators can control the News feed settings for their organization, including the selected industry for the Edge new tab page by going to Microsoft 365 admin center. Learn more
- Privacy and Security:
- Support TLS Token Binding for policy-configured sites. TLS Token binding helps prevent token theft attacks to ensure that cookies can’t be reused from a device other than the device upon which they were initially set. The use of TLS token binding requires setting the AllowTokenBindingForUrls policy and requires that the sites listed support this feature.
- Keyboard support for highlighter on PDF files . Users can use their keyboard keys to highlight any text on a PDF.
- Choose which side to flip on when printing on both sides. Users can choose to flip on the long side or the short side of a sheet when printing on both sides.
- Choose print rasterization mode for the enterprise. Control how Microsoft Edge prints to a non-PostScript printer on Windows. Sometimes print jobs on non-PostScript printers need to be rasterized to print correctly. The print options are “Full” and “Fast”.
Ten new policies were added. Download the updated Administrative Templates from the Microsoft Edge Enterprise landing page . The following new policies were added.
- ConfigureFriendlyURLFormat – Configure the default paste format of URLs copied from Microsoft Edge, and determine if additional formats will be available to users.
- EdgeShoppingAssistantEnabled – Shopping in Microsoft Edge enabled.
- HideInternetExplorerRedirectUXForIncompatibleSitesEnabled – Hide the one-time redirection dialog and the banner on Microsoft Edge.
- KioskAddressBarEditingEnabled – Configure address bar editing for kiosk mode public browsing experience.
- KioskDeleteDownloadsOnExit – Delete files downloaded as part of kiosk session when Microsoft Edge closes.
- PasswordRevealEnabled – Enable Password reveal button.
- RedirectSitesFromInternetExplorerPreventBHOInstall – Prevent install of the browser helper object (BHO) to redirect incompatible sites from Internet Explorer to Microsoft Edge.
- RedirectSitesFromInternetExplorerRedirectMode – Redirect incompatible sites from Internet Explorer to Microsoft Edge.
- SpeechRecognitionEnabled – Configure Speech Recognition.
- WebCaptureEnabled – Enable web capture feature in Microsoft Edge.
NewTabPageSetFeedType – Configure the Microsoft Edge new tab page experience.
EnableDeprecatedWebPlatformFeatures – Re-enable deprecated web platform features for a limited time.
|Operating systems||Windows 7, Android, macOS, iOS, Windows Server 2012, Windows 8, Windows 10, Windows Server 2016, Windows Server 2019|