In July 2017, version 1.7.13 of Media Player Classic – Home Cinema was released and the developers indicated that they will continue no more new versions would bring out. However, the source code is open source and a developer known by the name clsid at the website Doom9 and himself involved with mpc-hc for a long time now releases new ‘unofficial’ versions from time to time. These mainly contain minor improvements and the latest versions of the LAV Filters and MediaInfo are always included. The changelog for version 1.9.12 can be found below.
Changes / additions / improvements:
- Changed default setting for subtitle texture resolution. This change only affects playback on screens with 4K resolution. In that case subtitles are now rendered at 1080p resolution (and then scaled to final size). This improves performance on such systems. You can of course change the setting to 4k if you prefer slightly sharper subtitles.
- Some improvements related to the youtube-dl support.
- Added support for downloading subtitles for streams extracted by youtube-dl. You can specify desired subtitle language (s) here: Options> Advanced
- Strips html tags when found in SRT subtitles.
- Added prompt when enabling OpenSubtitle option, mentioning than an account is required on their website.
- Removed SubDB subtitle provider. Their site has been offline for a long time.
- Removed obsolete RealMedia and QuickTime frameworks. These were only available in 32-bit builds, and were already not used by default anymore for a long time. Now such files are always played using the internal DirectShow codecs.
- Fixed issue where recent file list could get cleared when opening a file with a very long path.
- Several other small fixes and improvements.
|Operating systems||Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10|