Version 5.15 of Caliber has been released. This open source ebook manager is available for Windows, Linux, and macOS. Among other things, it can look up all relevant information and cover images, and convert ebooks to make them suitable for the various types of e-readers. Furthermore, the program can convert newspapers, magazines and news articles based on RSS feeds into e-book format. Books can also be purchased with Caliber at the well-known web stores. Version 5.0 has included a switch to Python 3, various improvements have been made to the e-book viewer and there is now also a dark mode for the e-book viewer and content server. The following changes and improvements have been made in this release:
- Allow auto scrolling through the list of books by pressing the X key or right clicking on the cover browser. Close tickets: 1917634.
Useful to have a “slideshow” of book covers. The speed of scrolling can be controlled in Preferences -> Look & feel -> Cover browser.
- E-book viewer: Speed up first time open for EPUB files with lots of styling.
- E-book viewer preferences: Allow searching for keyboard shortcuts.
- Edit book: Allow editing WEBP images.
- Various improvements to the template language, see here for more info.
- E-book viewer: Show the current progress percentage in the bottom bar of the viewer controls. This can be customized in the viewer preferences under Headers and footers. Close tickets: 1921610.
- E-book viewer: Add an option under Preferences->Miscellaneous to not restore open panels such as Search, Table of Contents etc on restart. Close tickets: 1921689.
- When exporting highlights as text or markdown also output top level chapter titles
- Allow downloading metadata from amazon.se. Close tickets: 1922327.
- Preferences->Tweaks: Allow specifying that caliber should open the book details window when double clicking on a book. Close tickets: 1922591.
- MOBI Output: Convert WebP images to PNG so they work with Amazon’s software. Close tickets: 1922341
- DOCX Input: When converting embedded fonts, replace spaces in the filename with underscores to keep the execrable epubcheck happy. Close tickets: 1921793.
- E-book viewer: Selection bar: Add keyboard shortcuts for all buttons. Hover over a button in the bar to see the shortcut.
- FB2 Output: Fix a regression in caliber 5 that caused paragraphs containing only non-breaking spaces to be removed. Close tickets: 1924232.
- Metadata comments editor: Fix setting block alignment destroying other block level properties. Close tickets: 1924187.
- E-book viewer: Fix margins not being adjusted immediately when preferences are changed.
- Edit book: Upgrade book internals: Fix skipping the NCX removal dialog not remembering the chosen option. Close tickets: 1921604.
- Conversion: When specifying a line-height do not apply it to the tag, as it is pointless and causes the execrable epubcheck to complain. Close tickets: 1922570.
- E-book viewer: Improve scrolling behavior when extending the selection using keyboard shortcuts.
- E-book viewer: Fix read percent for HTML files that are rendered in a single screen being 0% rather than 100%.
- E-book viewer: Highlights panel: Do not expand all sections when adding/deleting/modifying highlights. Close tickets: 1924598.
- CHM Input: Fix a regression in caliber 5.0 that broke opening of some files that dont specify a character encoding. Close tickets: 1922503.
- EPUB2 metadata: Read ISBNs in identifier elements without schemes if they are valid ISBNs and no properly identified isbns are present.
- Update Amazon metadata plugin for changes to amazon websites. Close tickets: 1922309.
- Edit book: Fix detection of class names containing hyphens/underscores.
New news sources
- Los Danieles – Columnas sin techo by CAVALENCIA
Improved news sources
- New Scientist
- Irish Times
- The Straits Times
|Operating systems||Windows 7, Linux, macOS, Windows 8, Windows 10|