Yesterday Apple announced when you can expect macOS Catalina: it will be mid-October – the exact date is not yet known. The new macOS version is usually released in September, soon after iOS. This year is different, as can be read on the Apple website. However, we cannot speak of a delay: Apple promised the macOS Catalina release for “this fall,” and there is no word of that. The schedule is just a bit different than in other years.
If you update your Mac to macOS Catalina 10.15 in October, you will notice the following changes, among others.
- iTunes disappears. In recent years, the program had become a receptacle for far too many media. Apple, therefore, splits it into new apps.
- New apps. These replace the old iTunes. We already know these apps from iOS: Music, Podcastst and TV.
- Sidecar. Do you have an iPad with the new iPadOS on it? Then use it as a second screen with your Mac!
- Project Catalyst. Apple makes it easier for developers to create apps that are suitable for iPad and Mac. That means that the Mac App Store will grow considerably in the coming period.
There are also countless small new features. Think of improved window management in Finder, a dynamic start screen in Photos and better-organized notes. Also, read our file on macOS Catalina for a comprehensive overview of all the news.
Updating to macOS Catalina
Updating to macOS Catalina is therefore possible in October. Updating is completely free. The following Macs are supported:
- MacBook (early 2015 or newer)
- MacBook Air (mid-2012 or newer)
- MacBook Pro (mid-2012 or newer)
- Mac mini (late 2012 or newer) iMac (late 2012 or newer)
- iMac Pro (2017)
- Mac Pro (2013 or newer)
No idea which Mac you have, read Support your Mac macOS Catalina?
Updates for all Apple operating systems
In addition to the iPhone and iPad, you can soon update all your Apple equipment. In addition to iOS 13 and iPadOS, you can soon also download the following operating systems:
- iOS 13 for the iPhone.
- iPadOS for the iPad.
- watchOS 6 for the Apple Watch.
- tvOS 13 for the Apple TV.