Apple has released version 9.1 of the software that runs on the Apple Watch. Updating the Apple Watch must be done through the app on the iPhone; instructions for this are up this page to find. Version 9 of watchOS has three new watch faces, it can track when medicines need to be taken and there are several new fitness options. The following changes and improvements have also been made in version 9.1:
This update contains improvements for your Apple Watch.
- Extends battery life during outdoor walking, running, and hiking workouts with the ability to lower the frequency of heart rate and GPS measurements on Apple Watch Series 8, Apple Watch SE (2nd generation), and Apple Watch Apple Watch Ultra
- Music can be downloaded over Wi-Fi or a cellular network when the Apple Watch is not charging
- Support for Matter, the new connectivity standard for smart homes that allows a wide range of smart home accessories to work together across different ecosystems
This update also includes bug fixes for your Apple Watch.
- Spoken feedback about average pace during outdoor runs may have been incorrect
- Rain probability estimates in the Weather app may not match estimates on iPhone in the current location
- The hourly weather complication may have marked the time as am during pm hours
- The time displayed during strength training may not continue for some users
- VoiceOver may not announce the app name before reading a notification when multiple notifications are received
Information about the security aspects of Apple software updates can be found at this page.