Soon you will finally be able to update your Mac to macOS Monterey! Apple just announced the release date during the ‘Unleashed’ event. Your Mac will then receive all kinds of useful new functions. And you don’t even have to wait that long! Next week, on Monday, October 25, macOS Monterey is finally available!
MacOS Monterey release date announced
Apple’s event tonight is all about new Macs. But in addition to news about new hardware, there is also news about the software. This year’s big Mac update is scheduled for next Monday. The update is expected to be available around 7 p.m.
macOS Monterey features: what’s new?
macOS 12 Monterey brings tons of new features to your Mac. Some of these you may already know from iOS 15 for iPhone. Here are some new features you can expect soon:
- The Shortcuts app makes its debut on the Mac. This allows you to automate task sequences and save a lot of time. The app has been around for a while for iPhone and iPad.
- Focus is also coming to the Mac This advanced variant of Do Not Disturb ensures that you drastically reduce distractions and you can focus on one task.
- FaceTime is drastically revamped and becomes more suitable for video conferencing. Thanks to SharePlay you can share all kinds of media with friends and family. For example, listen to music together or watch the same video.
- With Universal Control, you can control your iPad from your Mac. You can drag your mouse from your Mac’s screen to your iPad. And then exchange files using drag & drop.
- Features such as Live Text, the Notifications overview, iCloud+ and the convenient organization of notes are also coming to the Mac.
Does it work on your Mac?
Unfortunately, you can no longer update some older Macs to Monterey. These are the Macs that do have macOS Monterey support:
- iMac: Late 2015 or newer
- iMac Pro: 2017 or later
- MacBook: Early 2016 or newer
- MacBook Air: Early 2015 or later
- MacBook Pro: Early 2015 or later
- Mac mini end: 2014 or newer
- Mac Pro End: 2013 or newer
To see which Mac you have, click in the top left and choose ‘About this Mac’.
macOS Monterey download
So you can download macOS Monterey from next week. Updating is free. The update will soon be available via ‘System Preferences>Software Update’. Here, click Update Now and follow the steps to download and install the update. At the same time, you can also update your iPhone and iPad to iOS and iPados 15.1 so that all your Apple devices are perfectly matched.