The fifth release candidate for Wine version 5.0 has appeared. Wine is an open source implementation of the Windowsapi and makes it possible to run DOS and Windows programs on Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris and macOS. A large group of developers are contributing to Wine and it has been decided to release a new so-called development version every two weeks instead of waiting for a number of new features to be ready. A stable edition appears a few times a year. The database with applications that work under Wine, with or without small adjustments, contains 26,828 titles at the time of writing. The following improvements have been made to this release candidate:
What’s new in version 5.0:
- Gecko update, with support for running from a global location.
- Unicode data updated to Unicode version 12.1.
- Initial version of the MSADO (ActiveX Data Objects) library.
- Update installation support in the WUSA (Windows Update Standalone) tool.
- More progress on the kernel32 / kernelbase restructuring.
- Support for signing with ECDSA keys.
Fixed bugs in 5.0-rc5 (total 19):
- 9609: graphical glitches running Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell Demo (need better FBO stencil buffer support)
- 25728: UFO: Extraterrestrials Gold – crash caused by wine’s built-in dsound / direct music
- 34041: Skyrim (Steam) hangup on quit
- 34379: Splinter Cell: Blacklist voice stuttering
- 35194: Emperor: Battle for Dune does not show compressed textures
- 40720: Splinter Cell: Blacklist changing sound level has no effect
- 40721: Splinter Cell: Blacklist some voices / sounds overlap each other
- 40859: Builtin wbemprox.dll load error for multiple games (Colin McRae DiRT 2, Burnout Paradise)
- 42558: The Old City: Leviathan sound periodically has crackle effect
- 42930: Graphical glitches in “Giants Citizen Kabuto”
- 45323: Rayman Origins, UPlay: Sound effects don’t work but music and ambiance do
- 45396: The Evil Within: no audio in-game
- 46972: Adobe DNG Converter 11.2+ runs into Call to unimplemented function api-ms-win-core-winrt-error-l1-1-0.dll.GetRestrictedErrorInfo
- 47974: X Rebirth – wined3d GL_INVALID_OPERATION dimensions must be identical with current filtering modes
- 48293: Battle.net App lags when clicking UI elements
- 48357: Wine 5.0-rc2 prevents multiple apps from connecting to servers (Origin; Dungeons and Dragons Online; Lord Of the Rings Online)
- 48415: The Magic School Bus Explores The Solar System fails to install
- 48417: 32-bit PE ‘kernelbase.dll’ has default imagebase 0x10000000 when built with llvm-mingw, preventing non-relocatable native executables from being loaded
- 48420: Warframe equipment mouse-overs no longer highlight the item