Nextcloud is making progress and has released its fourth major update in less than twelve months. With Nextcloud it is possible to run cloud storage in-house. It originated after a large number of developers walked out of ownCloud and started over. All components, including the enterprise functionality, are offered as open source and the revenue model is similar to what Red Hat does, which is to provide paid support for large customers. Version 21 includes improved performance, a new whiteboard function and several improvements in Groupware.
Nextcloud Hub 21 is here!Nextcloud Hub 21, our first major release of 2021, is now available! Nextcloud Hub 21 brings a wide range of improvements in file handling performance with Files High Performance Back-end and important new collaboration features in Text, Talk, Groupware and Files.
The biggest improvements Nextcloud Hub 21 introduces are:
- High Performance Back-end for Nextcloud Files: reduces server load from desktop clients and web interface polling by 90% while delivering instant notifications to users.
- And a wide range of performance improvements all over on top, decreasing loading times of pages and reducing load on the server
- Collaborative features: new Whiteboard, author colors in Text and Document Templates to increase team productivity
- Nextcloud Talk: debuts message status indicators, a raise hand feature, a group conversation description and more!
- A range of Groupware improvements like drag’n’drop and nicer threading in Mail and syncing social media avatars in Contacts.